Chronicles of Growing Courage

Monday, August 21, 2006

They haven't thrown tomatoes at me yet

Today I had orientation all day for my new job. I am really looking foward to the diverse bunch of people with whom I will be working. So far the people I have been meeting have been extremely friendly and intriguing. I am not so much looking forward to selling products...time will tell if I have any salesperson in me at all.

I learned many new things today (for example, I didn't know it was possible to spend $66 on six hangers... I guess it is), but at the same time I was listening, I had many internal exclamations. I will share a couple.

Trainer: "So many people come in here for one thing, but they don't even know what they really need. It is your job to open up the doors so they can see they are really lacking a whole lot more than they thought.

My inner dialogue: "But what if they are in debt and have maxed out their credit card? What if they have a shopaholic problem and can't afford it?

Trainer: "So these wooden hangers are an example of our stock that goes from better, best, to finally extraordinary. This extraordinary wooden hanger is about the best you can get(only $11!)...notice the fine, thick wood, and the natural shape that will not crease your clothes."

My inner dialogue: "Holy cow...did they use half of a giant sequoia for that hanger? You could hang a 50 lb weight on that thing."

The second part of my training is on Thursday, and then my actual job starts on Friday morning, 5 a.m. So I have from now until then to learn how to be organized and help organize others. No problem.

1 Comments:

  • Melody--Your inner dialogue is very funny. You must never be bored. Hey I sent you email but my computer is freaking out on me. (I'll just add it to the list of stuff that has broken). Did you get it? Let me know. There is important information inbedded in it... regarding a houseguest in your near future.....

    By Blogger Dakota House , at 7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home