Chronicles of Growing Courage

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

I've Been Robbed!

Ironically enough, my roommate and I were robbed on the same day, both on Fuller campus. Her wallet was stolen from the library when she left it for just a few minutes, and within the hour they were racking up $1000 at Best Buy and Target.

My story is less traumatic, as it does not involve my wallet, but it holds quite a bit of irony with a pinch of Murphy's Law, so I will share it. The month before, my wonderful Starbucks coffee pot broke, and I was sad until I realized that there was a voluntary recall on it because it had started a few fires. "Ah Ha!" thought I. "This indeed is good news. I'll send the coffee pot into Starbucks, get a check PLUS a free pound of coffee. My coffee fortune was looking up. Well, the check finally came in the other day, and I stopped in at Mervyns because there were having a Grand Opening Sale. I came out proudly carrying a brand new coffee pot that included a Stainless Carafe plus two travel mugs. I was positively smug at the fact that I had gotten 55% off of my prize after the rigmarole of applying for a Mervyn's card. So, I popped it in my car and drove to school.

Well, I'm sure you can guess the end of the story. I actually didn't realize it was gone until I got home. I came in, ate my dinner, and thought, "Oh, I want to take a look at my brand new shiny coffee maker!" At first, seeing my empty car, I thought I was merely dreaming the whole Mervyn's episode up. That is, until I noticed the receipts still nicely stacked on the seat where the coffee pot used to be. To make matters more certain that someone had indeed been in my car, I noticed my CD player was gone.

The fascinating thing is, the thief had re-locked my car after getting in. There was no scratches on the locks, so this person was no novice. My theory is that there was a pair of them working campus that day...but what are the chances that both my roommate and I got targeted? Little do they know I've read a lot of mystery detective novels.

The moral of the story is...don't count your chickens before their hatched...or rather, don't brew your coffee before it's safely on your counter. I'm thankful I still have my French Press!

3 Comments:

  • Melody. I do not consider losing your coffee maker 'less traumatic.'

    Not to mention your cd player.

    Coffee and music. Two freely given gifts from God.

    Oh the pain.

    By Blogger Dakota House , at 9:49 AM  

  • I'm so sorry that happened to you both! It really irritates me that Fuller students are targeted so much for thefts.

    By Blogger First Pres. Youth Group, at 12:02 PM  

  • Mel,
    After a careful reading of your post, and discussing it with several of my friends who are "in the business" with me, I would like to propose the following alternative realities to this situation.
    1) The fact that there were "no scratches" on the lock is merely circumstantial. Maybe you left a window down? Maybe you left a door unlocked? Maybe someone else has a car just like you and their key worked? Maybe someone snuck into your house at night while you were sleeping and secretly made a copy of your car key while standing over you and watching you sleep? Besides, car thieves wouldn't "jimmy" the lock; they would use a slim-jim and go down through the window opening.
    2) Maybe a less-furtunate person saw the huge amount of material that usually resides in your car and mistook it for some type of mobile thrift store?
    3) Maybe this was some sort of divine retribution for being "smug" about getting free coffee and/or your out-of-control mocha-latte addiction?
    4) Maybe Starbucks, whose empire streches across the globe and is responsible for global warming, child labor, the war in Iraq, inner-city illiteracy, and the sudden emergence of a 40-year-old live-at-home-with-parents generation (among other things)--maybe Starbucks found out that you had cheated them out of a pound of free coffee and came looking for retribution?
    Those are just a few thoughts and possible solutions.
    On the bright side, I think you should sue Fuller for locating in a high-crime area. Think of all the free coffe you could win?

    Sp

    By Blogger Filatore, at 6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home