Chronicles of Growing Courage

Friday, January 25, 2008

Catching up, misadventures, and other matters


It's been so long since I have written, I'm pretty positive that the only one who is still checking my blog is my mother. However, I have decided to start writing again as a stress relief and life-documentation.

Recently, I travelled up to Fresno to say goodbye to my dear friends the Cosbys. The goodbye dinner was bittersweet for me: present was the joy of reconnecting with old friends who had become like family to me, and the sadness of coming to terms with life's inevitable changes.

The next day, I woke up sad and pensive, and it was in this state that I agreed to accompany the Barkers to Grampo's farm. This was perhaps my first central valley farm experience, and there is just something about being out in the fresh air surrounded by growing things that can revive a person.

However, it wasn't the delicious three course meal that snapped me out of melancholy, nor the brandy in my after-lunch coffee that Grampo insisted I try. Rather, it was the invigorating, freeing, and somewhat out-of-control ATV ride.

For some reason, Jamie's husband Brad thought I should drive, so he taught me the finer points of navigating the gears and gas, and then Jamie and I were off. My first few moments of flying through the vineyards with Nattie and the other dogs tearing along side were glorious. What is it about going fast on a small motor vehicle that makes a person so happy? As we rounded a corner, Jamie yelled in my ear: "Look at Nattie!" I turned my head and she was galloping through the vineyards...a noble beast of grace and beauty(ok, that last phrase was a bit over the top!).

Unfortunately, when I turned my head, I also turned the steering wheel, and we veered off the road, straight toward the vineyard. From there, everything went into slow motion: Jamie shrieking wildly in my ear, the rapidly approaching fence and vines, my mental numbness and acceptance of our fate.

With a loud thump, we rammed into one of the grape vines, uprooting it. Realizing we were unharmed, we began laughing hysterically. Since I did not know how to put it in reverse(and I had completely forgotten I actually had brakes), we put it into neutral, pushed it back onto the road, and re-planted the grapevine.

Nothing like a little adrenaline to snap you out of a funk!

2 Comments:

  • I remember you having double-jointed head and arms when you first started driving a car too. But I guess it can happen to the best of us.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:31 PM  

  • So glad to see you blogging again.

    Um. You may have left out some pertinent details such as the fact that an ATV DUI was a distinct possibility... not to mention I may have not been the only one 'shrieking wildly.'

    Whatever. Creative license and all that.

    Good time with you, Melody. As always.

    By Blogger Dakota House , at 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home