Chronicles of Growing Courage

Friday, November 09, 2007

Mr. Murphy meets my Macbook

I am trying to come to terms with something that happened yesterday morning. In a nutshell, my computer crashed and my hard drive is now obliterated. Not just damaged...but utterly gone. So gone that after seven hours of having my computer hooked up to whatever it is that attempts to retrieve data, the computer technician told me it was a wash.

The good news is that I did not lose everything; I had backed up my computer at the end of my summer quarter. The bad news, however, is that it is week 8 of my 10 week quarter, and therefore, my entire fall quarter is now non-existent. Notes, research, assignments, thoughts, ideas....everything.

This is what I am trying to come to terms with. I keep telling myself, "Put it in perspective: No one died, no one lost an eye or a leg, my home was not burned up", etc. etc. These are all very grand and noble gestures on my part to handle this maturely. But the bottom line is...this sucks. And as I sit here, in the library, by myself on this Friday evening, trying to focus on my part in a group project that needs to be done tomorrow, I've decided something. I've decided that I'm going to give myself a few hours to be discouraged, disheartened, to contemplate quitting, to feel sorry for myself, and to basically move through my emotional upheaval. I need a few hours of a sort of unabashed head-beating-against-the-wall-and-screaming fest. And then, I need to pick up, move on, and start over.

Did I mention that I am not as fond of Macs as I once was?

7 Comments:

  • Sweet Melody- so sorry, how frustrating. How about you just come up here and have some coffee with me and hold a baby... I admit there is a tiny bit of selfishness in the request- so what if I will do anything to see my friend?

    By Blogger Laura Cosby, at 10:22 AM  

  • sorry mel. stupid mac (as i type from one that has been in the shop 2x in 2 months)! we had a hard drive crash and lost all our pix from 03/04. i had a couple good melt downs.
    you deserve it, all your info, yikes!
    you should have a good tantrum, make sure screaming and kicking and hitting a door are involved.

    By Blogger Denise, at 8:05 PM  

  • Seriously Mel--that is pretty high up there in the Suck Dept. I am so sorry.

    I'm all in favor of the 'unabashed head-beating-against-the-wall-and-screaming fest.'

    I think you should say some very bad words, too.

    Good job giving yourself permission to be pissed off, and even to be sad. I am counting this as progress.

    I love you Melody Joy.

    P.S. Excellent blog post title.

    By Blogger Dakota House , at 5:09 PM  

  • mel i hope that extra calories were consumed during that a lotted time you gave yourself.

    By Blogger Cosby, at 9:33 PM  

  • I feel your pain Mel. That happened to our mac too and we lost pics of ella from age 2 to 6 months. AGH! Anyway, good luck with your pity party.

    By Blogger rachel, at 11:28 PM  

  • ummmmmmmmmmmmm i hear beer helps.

    By Blogger Thais, at 2:55 AM  

  • Mel,
    My son John just started working part-tiime at the Mac store here in Fresno. I'll tell him to fix the Apple computers so that they will never crash again.
    He's on it...
    George

    By Blogger Curious George, at 6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home