Chronicles of Growing Courage

Monday, September 10, 2007

Dear Pasadena Parking Police: This means war (of peaceable nature, of course)

Today I got yet another parking ticket. This is my third in two weeks, and at $36 a pop, you can imagine I am not a happy camper(or rather, urban dweller). The first ticket was fair, and I will cheerfully pay it, as it was due to a momentary carelessness in not thoroughly reading the parking sign. The second was not exactly unjust, but certainly illogical and extremely frustrating. The third? Completely ridiculous.

This morning, I parked at about 4:50 a.m. around the corner of the store(in the 4 hour parking) to avoid getting a ticket like I had the previous Friday when it was parked in the 2 hour parking in front of the store. A parking cop came up to us at 5:25 a.m. and asked if our cars were in the front of the store. I told him mine was around the corner. "Is it a green Mazda?" he asked.
"Yes," I said.
"I already ticketed it," he said. "There is no overnight parking in Pasadena from 1 a.m. to 6 a.m."
"I didn't overnight park," I said. "I just parked it a half an hour ago. Can you take the ticket back?"
" It's already in the computer, I can't take it back. There is no overnight parking".
"Ummm.... Officer.....Garcia, is it? Once again, I was not overnight parking. I just got here. Where do you suggest we park? We just got tickets for parking here on Friday, so that 's why I parked around the corner. Do you see that this is a little unfair for those people who work early in the morning?"
"I'm sorry, I can see that, but there's nothing I can do about it."
"Can I speak to someone concerning this?"

I now have in my possession the name and number of the head of Pasadena's parking police. I realize the normal thing you are supposed to do is send in a written letter contesting your ticket(with the check), but I personally think it is a much better option to meet this guy face to face and have a real heart-to-heart.

10 Comments:

  • Dear Jesus please turn me into a stapler or a pencil sharpener...or something... just for the time Mel is in the office. With the guy. Having the 'heart-to-heart.' Pleeeeease.

    By Blogger Dakota House , at 4:20 PM  

  • if it makes you feel any better i got a speeding ticket just after being baptized! i looked at the guy like, "you can't give me a ticket, i'm white as snow!"

    By Blogger Denise, at 3:38 PM  

  • mel.
    i am still trying to get over the fact that you have to be AT THE CONTAINER STORE AT 4:50AM!!!!!!!!!! oh. my. word.

    By Blogger dana, at 8:11 PM  

  • PARKING TICKET UPDATE

    Nate got a parking ticket this morning. IN FRONT OF OUR HOUSE.

    76 bucks.

    He's not happy.

    When you came here the two of you can commiserate with one another.

    By Blogger Dakota House , at 10:38 PM  

  • Heart to hearts are awesome! Maybe he'll wind up being your kindred spirit!! :)

    By Blogger Praisy, at 1:47 AM  

  • Mel--did you remove my previous comment about this post? It disappeared? Have I been censored?

    By Blogger Filatore, at 7:07 AM  

  • This blog practices freedom of speech..in other words, I have never yet censored anyone's comments.

    By Blogger Melody, at 1:36 PM  

  • John, my son, got a parking ticket in front of his house the other day for having his car pointing the wrong way. Anyway, maybe we should start a, "Mel parking ticket fund."

    By Blogger Curious George, at 9:32 AM  

  • MJW,
    This post brings a number of disturbing truths to the harsh light of day.
    First, now that you have a fancy, schmancy new car, you are a target for the po-po. This never happened with your old car (that moving yard sale you called Shadrach).
    Second, does this Officer Garcia always target tall, blond women? If so, that might qualify as racial profiling...very bad!
    Third, why were you going to work at 4:30 in the morning? Some kind of TupperWare Emergency? Why don't you just admit that you had been out on the town, getting your groove on, and got caught on the way home? It's always better to run with the truth, especially when dealing with "The Man".

    By Blogger Filatore, at 11:55 AM  

  • In hindsight, I realize that I wanted to use the phrase "getting jiggy with it". I apologize for leaving that out.

    By Blogger Filatore, at 5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home