Chronicles of Growing Courage

Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Tale of the Amazing Bird Rescue

The other day my friend and I were gathered with a bunch of people playing a game of ultimate frisbee at a park. All of a sudden, we noticed a loud commotion by a tall lightpost. A crowd (mostly kids) was gathering around this lightpost(about 12 feet tall) because a bird was tangled up in string wrapped around the top of the lightpost and was frantically fluttering around.

To me, it seemed a lost cause...how would we help the bird? However, one guy in the crowd thought differently. With apparent ease, he shimmied up the smooth lightpost like someone would a coconut tree, and reach out for the bird, cutting the string off the pole. When he slid down, he could only do so with one arm, because the other one was carefully cradling the bird. Once he was down, I went over to look at the bird. The string was actually a plastic thread off a tarp, and it had tightly wound the bird's leg and neck together. The man painstakingly snipped each little offending string from around the bird's neck until it was free. Then, as all the children of the park collectively held their breath, he released the bird, and everyone cheered as it soared away.

Now, I know some women are impressed by a man's flashy car, power, wealth, or his ability to surf well, but I have to admit, this was one of the most impressive feats I have ever seen! I was so in awe, that had that man turned to me, fallen on one knee, and said, "I know this is kind of sudden but shall we tie the knot right now?", I may well have been sufficiently star-struck to have said yes.

I mean, if you guys could have seen this pole and how he got up it! Where is the video camera when you need it?

7 Comments:

  • One afternoon in the summer of 93 at Camp Oakhurst as Michael worked the ropes course, an amazing kid, with no legs, wanted to make his way across the ropes course. Michael went every step of the way leading, encouraging, carrying him across. We were not yet dating, but I would have married him right there.

    By Blogger Denise, at 9:20 AM  

  • I have yet to meet a man that can save a bird like that or help along side someone doing something they never dreamed they could do like this. This must be why I am still single. Mel, have you seen this man again???? Maybe it will be a michael and denise story in the end.

    By Blogger KJ, at 11:17 AM  

  • MARRY HIM.
    Love Laura

    By Blogger Cosby, at 1:12 PM  

  • I love the way you can tell a story. Where was this guy from? I too think you should hunt him down.
    Love Jackie

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:59 PM  

  • This would definitely been the kind of guy that would have taken you on a date up in a tree and you haven't really had positive results with guys like this in the past.....

    By Blogger Anne-Marie, at 9:05 AM  

  • I can't believe you fell for the old tangled bird on the pole trick. It was a set up for sure.
    If you would have followed him to his car you would have discovered the bird waiting for him there. I wouldn't fall for dishonest guys like that who waste their time training birds to increase their odds.

    By Blogger Christian, at 5:58 PM  

  • Finally, Christian comes through with the voice of reason. I just read a long article in the New York Times about guys who train small animals (like birds, ferrets and turtles) in order to increase their chances of finding a date. In some big cities, you can even rent various disabled animals (they aren't really disbaled, just trained to look that way) to appeal to the sympathetic woman. Don't be fooled!
    If you date this guy, I bet he will ask you to pick up the check for dinner.

    By Blogger Filatore, at 5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home