Chronicles of Growing Courage

Thursday, May 31, 2007

President David Palmer




You might be interested to know that I am now friends with this man. For those of you who don't know, he was President Palmer on the T.V. drama 24, as well as being a movie star.

Friends, you say? Well, that might be a bit of a stretch, but we could be on our way. Yesterday, on a dinner break from work, I popped into a convienence store in Pasadena. All of a sudden, as I was paying for my coffee, I heard a deep, resonant voice behind me, which I recognized immediately. I turned around to confront President Palmer who looked exactly as he does on t.v., except that he was wearing sunglasses. I had a strange out-of-body experience at this moment. Most likely it was because I was tired and stressed, but nonetheless, I wasn't sure if I had metaphysically appeared on an episode of 24 or not. My head started swirling and I took a step backward before I said to myself firmly, "Get yourself together, Mel".

I collected my coffee and then went to sit at a table by the door. President Palmer began to walk out the door, and briefly looked at me. I gave him a big smile and nodded slightly at him. He returned the smile(not quite as big) and gave me a head nod of his own.

My interpretation of this non-verbal exchange? I was saying to him, "I know who you are, I admire your acting, and I wish you were really president, but I'm not going to make a big deal of your stardom." I believe he was saying back to me: "Thank you for your acknowledgement...I know that you know who I am...let's just keep it between us, shall we?"

Of course, he could have also been thinking, "Woman with goofy grin is staring at me...give her cursory smile and nod, and quickly leave."

I prefer my version, of course.

10 Comments:

  • This is a beautiful story.

    By Blogger Cory PiƱa, at 2:53 PM  

  • hahaha what a crack up! Tamiko will die when she hears this!!!

    By Blogger Praisy, at 4:32 PM  

  • Um I don't know who this President Palmer character is...I'm sure he's a very nice fake politician.

    And I don't know why your head was "swirling", or why you had an "out of body experience" but I am hoping these symptoms were caused merely because of his apparent celebrity status and nothing else.

    Don't forget The Donald, Mel. Stick with the plan.

    By Blogger Dakota House , at 10:18 AM  

  • That is amazing. I love President Palmer! I think I died a little inside when his character got shot on 24. Okay, that might be overstating it a bit...

    By Blogger First Pres. Youth Group, at 12:33 PM  

  • Lindsey,

    That's a Peter Satira song. I have the CD if you want to listen to it.

    By Blogger Melody, at 5:35 PM  

  • Mel! Is that the same Peter who sang for the group Chicago? Oh, I loved the theme song for Karate Kid II- "I am a man who will fight for your honor, i'm gonna be the hero you've bee dreaming of, we'll live forever, knowing together that we did it all for the glory of love." -yes, i'm singing it!

    By Blogger Denise, at 8:13 PM  

  • In case you are really curious, you can read all about Peter Cetera here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Cetera

    And Mel does have his entire collection, both CD and tape versions.

    By Blogger Filatore, at 5:23 AM  

  • I thought it was spelled "Cetera."

    If you have his entire collection why don't you know how to spell his name?

    do you really have his entire collection?

    olives, tea, and peter! Hmmm, i should have spent more time with you while you were here.

    By Blogger Denise, at 7:21 AM  

  • My roommate in college had a Peter Cetera sweatshirt. Now that's commitment. We teased her quite a bit, but how can you not like songs like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NRsl9sTOr4

    By Blogger First Pres. Youth Group, at 6:41 PM  

  • Wow, I guess you guys would have been more excited if I had seen Peter Cetera instead of President Palmer. And Denise, you should know Spinner can slightly exaggerate...I do not have the whole collection. For that, you may have to talk to Ryan McKenzie.

    By Blogger Melody, at 8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home