Chronicles of Growing Courage

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Just another day in Seminary

I spent an hour today trying to convince a man that I was not going to be his wife, and in fact had no interest in dating him, and furthermore, did not believe that God was telling me anything to the contrary. "An hour?", you ask, "that's a long time to turn down a proposal!" Well, although the conversation was tiresome, it was just ludicrous enough to keep me from walking away. The arguments that he was using to convince me to give him a chance were borderline ridiculous.

Now, you might be saying to yourself: "This was it, Mel! This was your big chance to tie the knot! What were you thinking?" Well, before you get too judgemental, this was only my fourth conversation with him, so things really felt a bit rushed to me. He felt perfectly comfortable with rapidly moving ahead with the relationship considering we were both believers as well as being male and female respectively, but I felt there must be some other criteria. He did not share this point of view and expressed agitation at my continued statement of "I don't know you, you don't know me".

"You know my name, you know I live close to here, and you know I am a believer!" he retorted.

"As the Latin American proverb says: One sparrow does not make spring!" I quoted back.

Okay, so I didn't really say that back, but maybe I would have if I could think that fast on my feet.

5 Comments:

  • Your so funny!

    I know you are a fan of Donald Miller. I was just reading his chapter on dating in Blue Like Jazz.
    I think you should marry Donald Miller. He lives in Oregon, and seems to like it. And your both believers :-)
    I know that I do not need to get you a coffee pot for a wedding gift. Do you have a crock pot?

    By Blogger Denise, at 2:31 PM  

  • Did he ask you if he could fill your cup?

    By Blogger ga, at 7:28 PM  

  • wow.... speechless...
    I read it out loud to Bryan, he was not speechless-
    had quite a bit to say...

    By Blogger Cosby, at 8:09 PM  

  • A. "Duh.." on the Donald Miller deal.

    B. I did NOT say those things to myself.

    By Blogger Dakota House , at 6:13 AM  

  • MJW,
    By any chance, was this person from Fiji? I hear that are quite aggriessive in their courtship.

    By Blogger Filatore, at 1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home