Chronicles of Growing Courage

Friday, September 07, 2007

The passing of the baton, the changing of the guard: An ode to Shamarack



Well, the time has come to officially say goodbye to Shamarack. She has still been in my possession the last couple of months, as her services have been needed by several car-less friends. However, it is now time for her to move on to her new home. Although bittersweet as this moment is, I am happy to report that the couple with whom she is going are fine people, and they will treat her with the respect and finesse on which she thrives. To those who are wondering-the conditions of the transfer are as follows: They will keep her name as Shamarack, and they will not remove the "Don't hassle me, I'm local" sticker. So, on this momentous occasion, I wish to submit an ode to Shamarack, in honor of her service to me over the last 10 years.

Over hill and dale
snow and hail
you have driven me.

Through the tundra and rock
the dirt and the car lot
you have taken me.

You sheltered me in your comfy(although somewhat awkward) embrace
and put a smile on my pasty face
that night when I could not drive straight through to Oregon

You filled yourself to the brim
and made my eyes swim
with my stuff during the many times I've moved

You never failed me in the snowy mountains
(except for that one 360 you did on the way back from Yosemite)
You never failed me on the road
(except when you died suddenly on the L.A. freeway going 70 mph)

Your legends will be told
your stories will be sold
and thus your exciting adventures will live on.

A cut above the common yocal
and everywhere you are local
Oh Shamarack, you are a car for queens.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home