Chronicles of Growing Courage

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

The Joy of the Wild...er....I mean Los Angeles

Last night I successfully trapped eight feral cats in order to take them to the free spay/neuter clinic this morning. Folks, let me tell you something: You have not truly lived until you have driven through L.A. traffic with eight feral cats piled in your car. Any visual images that you just pictured from that last sentence are probably true: only multiply it by 100. The crazy thing is that I am trying to get ready for my month long trip to Europe. Shouldn't feral cats be the lowest thing on my priority list? Well, perhaps for a sane person. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of calling a couple of non-profit feral cat organizations in the L.A. area regarding the growing cat colony next door. Make no mistake: Once you have made such calls to people EXTREMELY committed to saving all the feral cats of Los Angeles, there is no going back. They send you emails and leave phone messages checking up on your progress with trapping the colony, not to mention that when they learned I was going to be gone for a month, made offers of who to hire to feed the colony while I am gone! It is under this kind of pressure that I crumbled and decided to attempt to trap the entire cat colony.

For those of you who are worried that my father's worst fears are coming true and I am becoming a creepy cat lady, put your minds at rest. I do not yet have a motor home or school bus, and I promise I AM NOT KEEPING THESE CATS!

P.S. I just discovered I have a baby possum living outside my window that crawls around in the bushes all night. No wonder Nattie wakes me up every night to bark out the window! Where do I live again?

1 Comments:

  • Mel that sounds like a nightmare! Did the cats claw you to pieces? How in the world do you catch feral cats? I can't even catch tame ones. You are truly a hero among us.

    By Blogger Paul and Alicia, at 3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home