Chronicles of Growing Courage

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

My pilgrimage to the pilgrims of Medjugorje




I took a small side trip in Bosnia because Medjugorje has an interesting connection to not only Bosnia's war, but to Catholic pilgrims worldwide. And of course, I was just curious.

In 1981, Mary, mother of Jesus, allegedly began showing herself to six children on a hill above Medjugorje. On the third day of the apparitions, Mary gave the children a message of peace for the world: "Peace, peace, peace--and only peace! Peace must reign between God and man and between men!" Ten years later on the exact day of this message, the war broke out in Bosnia.

In the decades that followed, literally millions of people have come through to pray, talk to the visionaries, and perhaps to be a part of a supernatural experience. Now the village is overrun with people capitalizing on the history: stores and boothes abound selling statues, trinkets, and rosaries.

My particular experience took place on an extremely hot day. I trudged up to a Catholic community center where the Fransicians run AA programs. I was overrun by a large Irish group. "We've come to check out the site because someone is going to get a vision on Tuesday and we want to be here," they told me.

Later, I sat on "Apparition Hill" where Mary first appeared to the children. I was soon engulfed by a wave of Italians. They each took turns embracing Mary's statue and then began to pray through the entire rosary together. I listened to the hum of their murmured prayers for awhile before I started back to the village.

On my way back, I walked with two Scottish ladies with brogue so thick I could scarcely understand them. They were excited and glowing about their experience in Medjugorje, having been there multiple times. Christina told me of the special handkerchief she had dipped into the water flowing from a bronze statue of Jesus that is supposed to have healing qualities. "My friend has terminal cancer and I am bringing it back to her," she told me. They were lovely ladies, and as we were walking and chatting, Christina's phone rang. Betty and I continued talking as we waited for Christina. Suddenly, we saw her walking along the sidewalk, weeping. Her friend that she had just told me about had passed away. It was an immensely tragic moment, watching her move from hope and excitement to terrible grief. I offered my condolences and was quietly moving away when Betty slipped me 5 Euros and some Mary medallions. "I have a feeling you'll be back, " she whispered as she embraced and kissed me.

Waiting at the bus stop to go back, I met two young Germans who had come to Medjugorje for their honeymoon. Their eyes were sparkling and they were brimming with stories about the peace and hope they find when they come. "Why do you think Jesus Himself does not appear?" I asked them. "Well, perhaps because a man is more stern, and Mary is like a mother full of compassion and easier to know because she is a woman, " the man answered. "But isn't the New Testament full of stories about the tenderness and compassion of Jesus? I can think of no one that surpasses Him," I countered. A doubtful look crossed his face. "Well, maybe, but....anyway...." . Just then their bus pulled up and they shook my hand. "Go up to the mountain!" he said to me. "I will pray for you"!

It was truly a fascinating day, and I think what most poignantly stood out to me is this: People are hungry for God and want to be close to Him.

2 Comments:

  • Hi Melody! i just had my first night of the grief Counseling class. A good friend of mine is in it and I was so excited. The bummer news is that I did not get the memo that the class started a week early. It is only a 4 week class so that stinks.
    How hard for Christina to loose this friend and to have it happen when she had so much hope in what she was bringing back. Good question you asked that couple. I wonder if they will keep thinking about that?
    I miss you lady! Went for another walk with Nattie today. She is doing great, misses you, but great. She is going to FREAK out when you come home.
    I start massage school on Friday ( well orientation) and then officially on Monday. See you in a week.
    Kelli

    By Blogger KJ, at 11:09 PM  

  • Hi Melody,

    What amazing stories you've shared! I'm really enjoying your blog. Thanks for making the effort to keep it updated so frequently!

    Rosalie

    By Blogger Rosalie, at 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home