Chronicles of Growing Courage

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Exploring Budapest





A day in Budapest is not nearly enough to explore its beauty and mysteries, but I tried to make the most of it, even though the temperature was in the 90's(not unlike L.A.) with an extremely high humidity(unlike L.A.). Consequently, my first night in my hostel was almost unbearable: six people in a small room with no air-conditioning or fans, on the fourth floor and myself being in a top bunk! It was like being stuck in a sweaty sock that had just been on a 21 day wilderness course. However, other than that, this is great hostel. I had a great day, probably walking close to 10 miles, exploring the castle district and other historical sites. I had the pleasant surprise of making a new friend: Matt is a medical student who met Kelli in India and happens to live in Budapest! He very graciously showed me some sites yesterday evening, and I plied him with questions about the spiritual climate of the city, gypsies, and other questions that only a local could answer. There's nothing I love better than to travel a foreign city with a local! I move onto Balaton today, where the missions conference is being held. Although the temperature is taking a cooling trend, I look forward to being right on a lake!

4 Comments:

  • I love that you are traveling with world again. your description of the hostel was great! I had a full visual and could smell it! So great you hung with Matt. i will have to right him. I will be praying for you as you enter the conference and continue to learn and participate in Gods live through reconciliation!
    you are prayed for and thought of daily!
    Kelli

    By Blogger KJ, at 12:39 AM  

  • Nattie gets to go to the cabin tomorrow! So fun for her! she is being well taken care of!
    Kelli

    By Blogger KJ, at 12:40 AM  

  • No one writes about adventures like you. I completely visualized your night in the hostel and wouldn't want to be any closer! I'd love to be with you in walking the city, though.
    I pray for yu daily and lookout often for your blogs. Keep the longer versions for your upcoming book.
    Much love, mom

    By Blogger mom, at 2:00 PM  

  • mel...you should have heard from the priest before your complaining session of the hostel! :-)
    sounds like you're having a great time and your eyes are being opened even more!

    By Blogger ga, at 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home