Chronicles of Growing Courage

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Goannas and 4x4ing

The trouble with Aussies is that they are so laid back they can put your life at risk.

I was behind the wheel of a stick shift 4 wheel drive, driving gallons of water up the hills to drop it off at the students' campsites. I haven't done much 4x4ing at all..in fact, if truth be told, I was nervous at winding my way up steep, rocky, and turbulent little paths to the summit. The Aussie next to me was as calm as still waters at dawn. "Why stress?" he asked me. "It doesn't help matters."

So I found myself stalled at one of the steepest parts because I didn't give the engine enough "revs". My foot pressed tightly against the brake, palms sweating, I listened as he gave me instructions to release my emergency brake after I released my foot break and quickly transfer my foot to the gas pedal. Kelli was giggling in the back seat as I asked, "Is it possible for this thing to roll over? Am I going to hit a tree if I start careening backwards?" Taking a deep breath, I quickly moved my foot from the brake to the gas as I released the clutch. As the truck started moving, I frantically tried to release the emergency brake.

"I can't get the brake down, I can't get the brake down!" I yelled as we started spinning out. Meanwhile, so faintly in the background that my brain didn't register it, my Aussie friend said quietly and calmly, "You are heading straight for that tree. You are heading straight for that tree.'

Somehow, I managed to avoid the tree (not because I saw it, but just happened to slightly turn)and I got the emergency brake down. As I stopped on the top of the steep hill for a breather, the three of us wheezed in laughter at the near mishap. "Can you please warn me of turns or danger in a louder voice?" I asked. Unfortunately, I don't think overreacting is in his nature...this type of episode happened about three more times along our journey.

On the bright side, we passed a five foot Goanna who climbed up in the tree to escape us. There does not seem to be any lack of adventures here in Queensland, Australia!

4 Comments:

  • Melody Joy I see a pattern forming here. Case in point: ATV vs. grapevine.

    Keep writing. And keep revving the engine. Clearly, God's got you covered.

    much love.

    By Blogger Dakota House , at 3:04 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Dakota House , at 3:04 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Dakota House , at 3:04 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home