Chronicles of Growing Courage

Friday, February 22, 2008

I have been revolutionized!!!(By the Song of Solomon)

Okay, maybe revolutionized is a strong word. But this is the first time that I have ever studied the Song of Solomon (beyond a cursory read through which resulted in me thinking confusedly, "Okay, why is he comparing her breasts to twin fawns?"). I found it a somewhat profound understanding of love and sex. I actually cannot recall an entire sermon ever being preached on this(unless of course it was taught in Sunday School classes for young marrieds). Here is my challenge to you: If you have never studied the Song of Songs at length, read it through at least seven times in a week.

I wonder why we do not use this book in youth groups as a basis for which to talk about love and sex? I mean, let's throw out the 12 step manuels of why it is a good idea to keep sex in marriage, and just use the Song of Songs! It seems like it would provide an understanding of love that is missing today in the smoke and mirrors provided by our friend Hollywood. One of the most profound lines that reappears throughout the book is: "do not stir or awaken love until it is ready". This is a line that appears throughout the man and woman's stated desire and yearning for each other.

Another thing I like about the song is the image of women it portrays. The woman is headstrong and passionate, and she seems to be pursuing her love just as he is pursuing her. I like the fact that she is not some weak, fainting maiden waving a hanky at a big burly prince who comes to rescue her. (This image might may you think of an image of a woman portrayed by some popular evangelical books, but you will note that I did not name the authors or the titles in an effort to be diplomatic).

Anyway, I leave you with this quote from the book: "How graceful your feet are in sandals, O queenly maiden. Your rounded thighs are like jewels, the work of a master hand". (When is the last time you heard someone complimented for rounded thighs? Wow, our sense of beauty has sure changed!!)

2 Comments:

  • Melody! I love your postings!! You have a way to incorporate humor, depth and perspective in just a few paragraphs!! :) I am reading this in the lib and I almost bursted out laughing!! Thanks for the laugh! :)

    By Blogger Praisy, at 2:35 PM  

  • Cuz! Anne Marie told me about your blog, so I did my detective work and found it. I have one as well, but I'm warning you that I haven't posted since before the wedding. I kind of blog in spurts...maybe someday I'll be more consistant. Love ya!

    By Blogger Megan, at 9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home