Chronicles of Growing Courage

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Shocking quote

I love my professor of my "Women, Church, and the Bible" class. He has incurable cancer and sits in the front of class speaking in his frail voice. However, his mind and his wit are incredibely sharp. Half the class we spend laughing at the wry way in which he tells stories. Yesterday, he quoted something that Elizabeth Elliot wrote a few years ago that was really quite shocking. She wrote, "Every feminist is ultimately a homosexual." This is particularly shocking considering the meaning of the word feminist, which simply means "equal rights for women." Of course, words often become distorted and misused, and carry with them a wealth of connatations, but I am beginning to realize that it is not necessary to reject the word, rather it is very important to define the word that you are using. Does Elizabeth Elliot still think this? I wonder if she votes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home